Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fifty-Eight More Days

What a beautiful weekend. Saturday was glorious, though not officially spring, for March 1st it felt like SPRING! I spent most of the day puttering in the garden. I saw a red-headed woodpecker and three road runners, who make the weirdest noise, by the way. I watered the potatoes, onions, and strawberries. I also planted some flower seeds in hopes of saving myself some serious cash, because I'm a sucker for all those lush, blooming plants. I planted zinnias, marigolds, foxglove, purple coneflower (echinacea) and something else that I can't remember and am too lazy to get up and look at the packet. I have high hopes for these little seeds. A few weeks back we planted tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, and basil and those are all sprouted now. The coldframes we built back in the fall are doing the trick. We have lettuce and some seriously overgrown radishes in one (I'm letting the ginormous radish grow just to see how big it will get). The other coldframe has the seedlings, the flower seeds, and itsy-baby oak trees that we sprouted from acorns that we picked up at my Mom's. I guess I'm a pretty big garden-nerd because I get so excited when I see another new oak popping up. I started off calling it The Acorn Experiment and I don't think I really expected those acorns to sprout, much less to make little viable miniature oaks. I get seriously excited, like jump up and down and squeal and pee your pants excited.

Today I did some packing, getting the kitchen ready for its eminent remodel. The plan is to start it in a couple of weeks when I have Spring Break. We already bought a new stove and micro-hood thingy and they are just sitting in their boxes in the kitchen waiting to be installed. The big hold-up is that we have to tear out a cabinet and re-configure them to put in the new stove. It looks like it might be a pretty big job, though we are well-practiced at tackling huge jobs around this money-pit.

Tomorrow is a workday and it is such a relief to know that I am going to work, but there won't be any kids there! YAHOO! Teaching school would be fabulous if it weren't for the kids, parents, and administrators. I'm actually looking forward to going to work...crazy!

No comments: