Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Birdy's Last Good Day


Sunday I took Birdy to Mom's, just to two of us riding in the truck. It was just like old times and he looked really happy. I, on the other hand, cried all the way there remembering how he and I used to take roadtrips to go camping. It was the only way I could camp alone and as I re-invented myself he gave me the courage to do those things I wanted to do alone. For about three years it was just the Birdman and I. He accompanied Mom and I to Colorado and hiked and camped. When Japhy joined the family, the four of us climbed three Fourteeners in Colorado. With Japhy, the hubs, and I we climbed two Thirteeners in Utah. He never strayed far, always checking on us, making sure we were still there. Always loyal, but a cautious adventurer.
He was my friend and my teacher. He taught me patience and loyalty and faithfulness, unconditionally. I knew he trusted me to make the best decision for him.
Monday morning I called the vet, a nice young guy who makes housecalls. I spent Monday lying on the couch with Birdy beside me and I petted him for hours. In the afternoon, we met the vet at Mom's and with the hubs and I holding him and loving him he went to sleep forever.
We buried him under a lovely tree, wrapped in his quilt. I miss him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss.
I have two dogs and can't imagine losing one of them. I'm crying right now just looking at Birdy.

Jen BK said...

Thanks for your kind words along the way, Debbie. I know the Birdman went straight to doggie heaven...he had to.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. Our own little furbaby went to sleep just 3 months ago. I miss him every day.

The memories they leave with us are priceless.