Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Monday, November 17, 2008

The spoiled surprise


I spent part of my Pioneer week crocheting. I don't crochet during the summer because it is too hot to have your scarf or whatever trailing down your legs. When the weather turns cooler you find that you welcome the wooley bundled up in your lap.
I started this chenille scarf for my mom's birthday and being rather new to crocheting I didn't figure out the gauge...oh, I read that I should do something or other about the gauge, but I ignored it and plowed on...after a bit I noticed that I was making something that was way too wide to be a scarf. Duh, the yarn in thicker than I had used before and the light bulb went on over my head...gauge! Got it. So I ripped it out and made it about 12 stitches smaller and it is turning out well.
Of course, the surprise is ruined as Mom was at our house the other day and we came in to check something on the Internet. Mom went straight to the basket, "Oooh, this is soooo soft. What are you making?" After some stunned silence on my part I said, "Your birthday present".
Darn it, I hate it when my surprises are ruined.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bummer, I love giving surprises so that would have disappointed me as well.

But oh, what a gorgeous colour.

Jen BK said...

Because she "spoiled" her surprise she got to customize the scarf so, I guess it worked out okay after all...I let her decide how long it should be and whether it should have fringe or not.