Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Frugal Friday

This is a frugal and sentimental project both. The four-patches are made from my Dad's and brother's clothes. This was a project that my mom began years ago and it just never got finished. There was one quilt top finished and then a stack of four-patch blocks. I decided last month that I would finish this project and with Mom's help I am well on my way. The other top is on the frame and we are going to quilt it for my sister. This one I am going to give to my mom (she doesn't know it yet and maybe she won't read this before I give it to her on Sunday) and then I have enough squares cut to do another one for myself. This is terribly sentimental, but it is a very frugal way to make a quilt...the squares are cut at 4 1/2 inches ( and I saved all the buttons too), the sashing (which I bought for 50% off) is cut to 3 inches and the border is around 6 inches. Total cost of less than $20 for the top....add the back and batting for another $25-30 and you have a quilt for around $50.00. Not too bad....

No comments: