Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Elizabeth Patton Crockett's Quilt

I've been eyeing the Elizabeth Patton Crocket book....I can't remember what it is called....

Scraps of Life (thank you Google/Amazon for letting me get the title without going downstairs to get the book).

Anywho, I've been eyeing the book, but thinking that maybe I wasn't up to piecing such small pieces (1 1/2 inch), but my friend O watched me ogling the book and the lovely sample block and gave it to me for my birthday. It's interesting to read, but it is the quilt I'm most interested in. The top apparently was never quilted after being pieced between 1850 and 1860. It was passed down through the family and finally ended up at the Alamo according to this book (I've not finished reading it, but she doesn't seem to cite any sources so it is all hearsay as far as I'm concerned). The book has a photo of the poor, old tattered top and then each block is photographed and the fabrics isolated so that you can see each one. I made an attempt to "match" the fabrics used in the first block BUT I'm only going to use scraps.

(yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't be starting anything new, especially something so ambitious, but I'm working on my other projects too)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

This looks like the start of something gorgeous!