Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Climbing, Covered Bridges, and the Constitution

By now you are used to my longish absences, but in keeping with the idea of this blog as a journal of sorts I like to recap what's been going on in the interim since my last post.

Last post the barn was framed and we were working early mornings until lunchtime in the TX heat trying to get as far as we could while the in-laws were here to help. The hubs had a fortuitously long vacation this time (18 days) and we planned a rock climbing trip right in the middle. On the same morning the in-laws left we headed to the airport for an early flight to Boston. I won't recount the details except to say that a cancellation made us leave earlier and arrive later. Poo! Once in Boston, we picked up a rental car and drove to North Conway, NH where it was 20 degrees cooler than TX.

We spent two days there climbing. We had decided rather than fumble around (and buy all new gear to replace our old stuff) we would hire a guide. This turned out to be an excellent decision as it allowed us to just enjoy the climbing and the views without making any decisions. This was key for me as I've decided that I need to stop trying to control the universe and just go with the flow. The climbing kicked my butt, but I loved every minute of it. The hubs and I recounted old times, telling stories of our climbing adventures as we had both done the bulk of our climbing before we met.


On the last day we took a scenic drive back to Boston and with a couple of hours to kill yet, took a tour of the U.S.S. Constitution. I was most impressed that we were allowed to go below decks as I had expected a lame tour of the upper deck only. Very impressive.

No comments: