Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Black Bean Burgers

Black Bean Burgers
(the magazine says .67 per serving)

Now, you all know how I cook, so I'm going to give you the recipe as I originally found it and the way I really make it

The magazine ingredient list:
2 Tbsp. oil
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 15oz. can black beans
1 large eggs
1 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
salt and pepper

My ingredient list:

splash of oil in the skillet
onion, carrot, bell pepper and whatever else I can find
a couple of cups of black beans (I cook mine from dry)
1 large egg
cumin, I use the seed and grind it the mortar and pestle
garlic powder (or fresh if I'm not feeling lazy)
a few slices of gluten free (UDI's) bread, dried in the oven almost to crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

1. preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. heat your skillet, and saute the veggies
3. mash beans in a separate bowl (I like some whole beans and some completely mashed)
4. Add veggies, egg, bread crumbs. Then cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
5. Form into four patties and bake about 10 minutes per side. (on parchment works well)
6. Serve like a burger.

No comments: