Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Resolution #6:Think about running.

Yeah, yeah...I've been thinking about it, but last week I actually starting DOING it...gasp!!

Here's the story. Usually at work I just get so frustrated, bored, and completely heartbroken with the apathetic students, retard parents, and the general sorry state of public education that I want to stab out my own eyes with a sharp object. I have even developed a fondness for the loathsome pencil lately and I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that I can sharpen them to pointy-perfection with the new sharpener I requested just a few months ago. Come to think of it, I requested that new sharpener about the time I started feeling the need to keep sharp sticks around for the day when I had just had enough! Most days it was all I could do to restrain myself...come on, an ambulance ride, an eye-patch, some much needed time off....I've got disability insurance....(Does it cover MENTAL disability??)

Well, anyway, that is how it generally goes, then last week I found that I didn't even have the energy to pick up the pencil, much less make a jabbing motion in the direction of my eyeball. I had gone just beyond that place where I still cared. Last week I found myself not caring about anything. I SIMPLY DID NOT CARE. I knew I had to take some kind of action or risk losing several months to debilitating depression. So, I made myself run....one sad, pathetic, little mile....huffing and puffing (and I used to run marathons...pooof!) and I felt better. I've either run my little stupid mile or walked the dogs every day except one and I do feel much better. Today was even actually a tolerable, yet boring day at work thanks to my "running as anti-depressant" regime.

Just 62 more days.

No comments: