Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Crazy Crunch

As kids we never got store bought "treats" and of course, we wanted store bought treats. I guess we just wanted what everyone else seemed to have and we didn't realize how cool it was that our mom made homemade treats for us. Not a week went by that we did have some sweet treat.

I can remember wanting to buy CrackerJacks and later, Fiddle Faddle but we never did. My mom made this lovely caramel corn concoction. I just remembered it this week and she dug out the recipe for me. DELICIOUS!
Try it, you'll like it.

Crazy Crunch

2 1/2 quarts of popcorn (popped without oil/butter)
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup white Karo syrup (yeah, I know this stuff is crap)
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup margarine (I used butter, 'cause margarine is crap)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Pop your corn without using butter/oil. I suggest a 1/3 cup of corn in a brown paper bag using your microwave's popcorn setting. Mix popcorn and nuts in a large bowl after you cull out the un-popped kernels; set aside.

Combine sugar, butter, Karo in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. Continue boiling for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture turns a light caramel color. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour over the popcorn and nuts and mix to coat it well. Spread it out on waxed paper to cool. Break it apart and store in tight containers. Makes enough for 20, so the recipe says....I say, it makes about enough for one girl.

No comments: