Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Chai and Snaps



My favorite snack: Chai latte' and Gingersnaps. Last week turned up cold and rainy and one afternoon I decided I needed gingersnaps. They ended up looking like Snickerdoodles, but they were all snap. I'm still working on them because I have to ration them out a couple a day...mostly because my ass is getting too big for my jeans and that just WILL NOT DO.

Gingersnaps (recipe from the book: The Tale of Hill Top Farm)

3/4 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup treacle (that's molasses)

1 egg

2 teaspoons soda

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

cinnamon sugar mixture

1. Melt shortening and let it cool. 2. Beat in sugar, molasses and egg. 3. Mix flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt together. 4. Add to the first mixture in two batches (yeah, so, I dump all the dry ingredients right on top of the wet and mix it in...seems to work just fine). 5. Form into 1 into balls, flatten slightly, coat in cinnamon/sugar mixture. 6. Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. 7. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (I found it more like 15 minutes)

No comments: