Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Finish and a Start

Mom and I officially started our 2011 Shop Hop, but before I did anything I made myself finish the wall hanging I made for my sewing room. That weird bit at the top is the sleeve for hanging and eventually a rod will replace the three thumbtacks that are holding it now. Anyone want to lay bets on how long it stays thumbtacked?

For this year's "shop hop" quilt I thought I was going to do a Dresden plate, then for two days I mulled it over, waffled, waffled again, and finally decided to just try the pattern. What you see in the picture is just pinned to the background, but I'm in a quandary as to how to applique' it. Usually, I do fusible, but that just seems like a waste of fusible and a recipe for not getting it smooth since you would have to cut the fusible after your have pieced the plate....or at least that is what I'm thinking. I've never attempted needle-turn and I don't much like the idea of this project dragging on and on while I try to master something new AND do the hand work at a snail's pace. I'm sort of thinking I will attempt to machine applique it, but am worried that I won't get it secured enough to prevent shifting and puckering....Ai Yi Yi. I think I will tackle it today, so I'll keep you posted.




No comments: