Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Stetson Marcrest Birthday Quest

It all started with one little bowl that belonged to my Granny and a desire to reclaim some of the things I had let fall away in the "busy" of our lives. 
When I was in high school Mom and I started antiquing together. There was always a budget and always a quest. Back then I was collecting green Fiesta ware and things with the Statue of Liberty on them. When we hit the antique stores we were looking for very specific things...it was a Quest. 

For my birthday this year, I requested a day of antique Questing. Mom granted my wish and gave me $50. The Quest today was to find Stetson Marcrest Swiss Chalet pieces. We were halfway through a big antique mall (Benbrook) when I spotted three plates, three bowls, and three glasses.  (The price was right AND they were on sale).

Our next stop was a HUGE mall (Lone Star Antique Mall in Haltom City).....no Stetson Marcrest to be had. We left without buying a thing....that is how a Quest works.

I wasn't ready to give up on the Quest just yet, so we hit one of our favs. Montgomery Street Antique Mall. We were moving fast, only looking at dishes. I found the loaf pan on the very bottom of a junky booth with two other things on top of it. BINGO!

I'm always on the look-out for Fiesta that is cheap. I got this little blue creamer for less than $2.00 (chipped on the bottom and on sale)

Recently, I've begun collecting glass chicken dishes....silly I know, but I like them. They have to meet my criteria: this one was cheap ($2.95) and white. BINGO!


It feels good to goof off for most of a day, to seek out things that make me happy. I do way too little of that these days. 

If you had $50 and a whole day to look what would you look for?

2 comments:

Monica said...

What cute dishes! It sounds like you and your mom had a great time. I love roaming through antique shops. I think if I did this I'd be looking for vintage tableclothes and antique buttons.

When I was a kid my dad took me to a shop that sold mason jars filled with old buttons...really COOL buttons. He bought a couple jars and I'll tell you something. Those buttons kept me entertained for years...playing with them.

Jocelyn said...

Milk glass, milk glass, milk glass. I LOVE it! Or old linens. Probably milk glass, though.

I love antiquing. Also love garage saling, because I love to dig. That $50 hunt would be a great day for me. You never know what treasure lies inside a good pile of stuff!