Daily rambles about quilting, gardening, reading, cooking and just plain old being.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Angel Food Cake: Gluten Free

 When I stopped eating gluten a few years ago, I experimented quite a bit and was constantly disappointed. Either things didn't taste right or the texture wasn't right, but frequently both the taste and the texture were off. I finally, when things got busy, just gave up. Until just lately I had basically been reconciled that I would not get to have cake or brownies or cookies or really anything sweet. But today, I decided to try again. I found myself with a lot of extra eggs and immediately thought of Angel Food Cake.

I headed to the computer and the first recipe I found was from Taste of Home. I had all the ingredients, so I tried it. I was cautiously optimistic.

It looks right! 
It tastes about right and the texture is right....hhmmm, maybe I need another piece to make up my mind.
OH YEAH, this is delicious.
Okay, so I ate two big hunks while I finished my book and it was delicious. I wouldn't even guess it was gluten free. Seriously.

Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake

1 1/2 cups of egg whites
3/4 cups of sugar AND 1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
1/4 cup of potato starch

1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

1. let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes
2. sift together the 3/4 cups of sugar, cornstarch, rice and tapioca flour, and the potato starch
3. add cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla to the egg whites and beat on medium until soft peaks form
4. gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, beating on high under stiff peaks form
5. gradually fold in flour mixture
6. spoon into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan
7. cut the batter with a knife to release air
8. bake on the lowest rack at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the top is lightly brown
9. invert and cool completely.

 http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Gluten-Free-Angel-Food-Cake

from: Taste of Home.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She hate the whole thing and didn't leave any for me

Jen BK said...

My hubs can't type AND yes, I ate the whole 'effin cake in three days. It WAS delicious!!!!!!